Interested in writing/editor

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Interested in writing/editor

Post  fischer22 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi!

After reading your post in LSF, I decided I wanted to try joining your team (Joel the PR guy sent me here). I would be interested in helping out with writing, but I could also edit/proofread.
I really like the genre you're aiming at, and would feel very motivated to contribute, even if just a little.

I leave here two very different things that I wrote. The first one is the introduction to a VN I made with Renpy, that starts off as a normal school one, but changes slowly to a more sinister scenario. The second one is part of a short story I wrote a few days ago.

N = protagonist (thoughts)
P = protagonist (voice)
F = friend

Code:

$ renpy.music.set_volume(0.5, 0, channel="sound")
    play sound "62443__bsumusictech__ambient_construction_distant.wav" fadein 3.0
    N "I open my eyes and look at the alarm clock on my nightstand."
    N "It's almost seven. Time to get up and go to school."
    N "I turn off the alarm just before it rings and start with the usual routine:"
    N "Get dressed, have some breakfast, brush my teeth, grab my bag, go to the train station."
    N "Just like I always do."
    N "As I'm getting dressed I can hear the radio-alarm going on in my big brother's room. Despite being at almost max volume it takes him at least a minute to gather the strength and turn the volume down."
    N "After breakfast there are still no signs of my other brother waking up, he's probably going to be late again."
    N "I quickly turn on the lights in his room and ignore his incoherent mumbling, then say goodbye to mum and dad and walk out of the house."

scene chikaku street2 with fade
    $ minutes += 42
    $ renpy.music.set_volume(0.5, 0, channel="music")
    play music "n06.mp3" fadein 3.0
    N "The fresh morning air puts my mind and body into motion."
    N "No need to rush though. It's only a few block and it's still quite early."
    N "Despite being the middle brother, I have always been the responsible one. Maybe it's because I feel I'm the one that holds the three of us together, like the middle link in a chain."
    N "Things are probably going to change, however, once I graduate from high school this year."
    N "Strange that I'm thinking about these things so early in the morning."
    N "As I walk down the street I see the first flowers on a cherry tree and stop to grab one."
    N "That's one thing I like about this neighborhood: its trees and flowers, the sound of leaves..."

stop music fadeout 0.5

F "Hey, what are you doing just standing there?"
    N "And as every morning since many years ago, I run into Mika."

show mika normal at right with dissolve
    $ renpy.music.set_volume(0.4, 0, channel="music")
    play music "Radio Martini.mp3" fadein 1.0
    P "Hi Mika! Did you notice? Spring is starting to..."
    F "Of course I noticed! But now's not the time for that. "
    N "For a second it seems like she wants to say something more about it."
    F "Hurry or we'll miss the train!"
    P "I think we still have plenty of time, but if it makes you feel better..."
    F "Come on!"
    N "It's not the first time she makes me run in the morning, but it isn't usually like this."
    N "She must be worried about something, and I think I know what."
    N "We rush to the station and arrive two or three minutes early."

scene station crowded with fade
    $ minutes += 10

N "The station is pretty crowded, with a few students like ourselves but mostly adults going to work."
    N "As usual, there's nobody we know. We're the only two in our class that live in this part of town."

show mika normal at left with dissolve

P "I told you we had time, see?"
    F "Yeah, yeah, I know. But I couldn't risk missing the train today."
    P "You mean because of the test we have on the first period?"
    F "Kept me awake until three, but finally got to study all the points."
    P "Ah, that's why you're in such a bad mood and you look like you're starring in one of those zombie films."

show mika shocked at left with dissolve

F "EEEEH!?"
    P "I'm kidding! I'm kidding! You look perfectly normal."
    N "She fakes an angry face and looks away."

show mika sad at left with dissolve

F "Just normal?"
    P "When I say normal I mean you look great, as always."

show mika happy at left with dissolve

F "Thank you Kazuo, but you didn't have to get all red just for saying that, you know?"
    N "The worst part is that it's probable true."
    N "Even when talking to Mika, who I've known for a long time, I still get embarrassed when I compliment a girl."
    N "Just then I'm saved by our train's arrival."
    P "Let's go."

scene mika train happy with fade
    $ minutes += 3

N "After being pushed inside by everybody else, we end up facing each other, with little space between us."
    N "It's not awkward however. It's never been like that between us, except for a joke every now and then."
    F "So, I suppose Mr. Perfect had reviewed everything for the test many days in advance right?"
    P "No! … I just already knew many of the things, so it wasn't that hard."
    F "Maybe this time they'll let us take the tests in groups, right? I heard that last year it was like that."
    P "Like that's going to happen. That's the same rumor we hear every year, and it's never true."
    F "One can always dream, right?"
    F "Taking of rumors, did you hear what they're saying about Hotta sensei?"
    P "Hotta sensei? Haven't heard anything about him since he quit a few weeks ago."
    F "They say he got into a fight with the principal before leaving... Apparently he got pretty worked up."
    P "It could be, but I wouldn't bet on that story being true. Somebody probably made that up."
    F "Hmmm, I don't know."
    P "Nobody does. That's the problem, right? You'd probably have to ask the principal himself to know the truth."
    F "And that is close to impossible."
    P "Can't argue with that..."
    F "..."
    F "So, did you go to..."
    N "Mika is not really a person that can keep silent for a long time. She's lucky I'm pretty much the opposite." 
    N "We talk about school and unimportant stuff for the rest of the twenty minute trip."
    N "It seems much less than that when I commute with her."

Code:

Jonah couldn't move. His hands were tied behind his back by some kind of plastic cable, his legs by a length of dirty rope. He couldn't tell exactly, but judging from how sore he felt, he must've been sitting in that chair for at least a few hours before he woke up. There was only one thought in his head, hammering down all other things: why is this happening to me?
   In the short time he had been awake now, he had learned much. He already knew what awaited him. He had seen the others, tied as he was, dragged into the next room through that ghastly wooden door by a hooded figure, wearing black robes. He had heard the screams of agony and pain, as well as the inevitable silence that followed through.
   Jonah knew he was next, simply because he was the only one left. All hope gone in seconds, for he knew pleading didn't help at all, the only thing that barely kept him sane was this one question. He needed to know the reason for this, even if it was the explanation of a sick, crazy person, like this hooded figure surely was.

Let me know if you're interested!

fischer22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Interested in writing/editor

Post  Beardsley on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:06 pm

Hey fischer22, thanks for your interest in joining our project. This is Beardsley, one of the founders of Robinwood Studios. I gotta say, I like what I've read of yours. And your familiarity with Renpy is a major plus. I'm not sure what Joel went over with you but you seem like a good fit for our project. As for the final say in letting you join, it isn't mine as I don't really work with the story department but I"ll definitely go over your application with Xveas and no doubt you'll be part of the team soon enough! You got my vote.
Beardsley

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/JayAwesomeRobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  Eora on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Mine as well.
Eora

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fischer22 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Thanks to both of you!
Let's hope we can work together Very Happy

fischer22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xveas on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:14 am

Hello fischer22, and welcome to Robinwood Studios.

After reviewing your application and taking in the consideration of the rest of the team, I think it is a great investment for us to have you on the project. Your writing skills are quite proficient and you even have knowledge of Ren'Py which is a plus.

Welcome to the team. You've been given access to the Dev forums on this site. Check you PM box for more details.
Xveas
Admin

View user profile http://robinwoodstudios.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fischer22 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Thanx for taking me in! This project seems very promising Very Happy
I like what I've read so far!

A few things:

1) I can't see/access many of the images/links posted on the dev forum.... it says only mods can see it Sad
2) Don't think I got a PM....
3) Today I will be online only for a short time, because I have a few things in my agenda... Tomorrow I'll be more focused on this!

fischer22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xveas on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:28 pm

I'll try tinkering around with the permissions, but if you have access to the Dev forum you should be able to see everything. Haven't had any complaints from anyone else and they're in the same group as you.

I'll PM you more about everything. I was a bit busy yesterday myself.
Locked.
Xveas
Admin

View user profile http://robinwoodstudios.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top